Mackay Hospital and Health Service
3:50 PM Case Study: Mackay Hospital’s Journey to Implement iEMR – Managing Change Associated with Major Service Redesign
Implementing iEMR is an enormous change management project which, along with service redesign, has been Mackay Hospital’s prime focus. As one of the original pilot sites, Lyn and Narelle will reflect on their implementation journey and discuss the challenges they are currently facing in becoming fully digital:
- Service redesign by embedding new tools and processes to improve operations and compliment (not contradict) business as usual, rather than simply applying technology to existing practices
- Analysing data drawn from a web based portal to ascertain levels of efficiency among individual end users and establishing remedial adoption services based on this analysis to embed best practice use of the application
- Combatting change fatigue after several years of incremental change
With the number of EMR systems in the market place it can be a very confusing process when it comes to selecting a system that is the best fit for your organisation. As a major transformational change for your organisation, project success will require careful strategic planning, which can only be achieved if you think beyond the new technology and focus on your people. Successful management of your people during the project lifecycle will give you an incredible advantage and improve your chances of project success.
Led by Lyn Radel, Nursing Director of Mackay Hospital and Health Service, this interactive workshop will cover the following learning areas:
- What are the most commonly made change management mistakes that will impact the success of your project?
- Understanding how the change will affect your people – taking a people centred approach to your EMR project implementation plan
- Engaging with your clinical staff during the process and utilising their experience in the design phase
- Overcoming resistance to change and managing expectations
- Understanding the key roles in the EMR change management process